Healthcare Career Scholarships Program
Purpose: To support Abraham Lincoln Memorial Hospital in pursuing their mission and vision by providing financial support for higher education to future and current hospital employees. Additionally, provide the opportunity for students to pursue educational opportunities in exchange for a work commitment once the education is completed.
Objective: To create a pipeline of professional clinical staff for ALMH. To ensure ALMH has the staff needed to provide the necessary care to their patients.
GUIDELINES FOR FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP
1. Scholarships are awarded for programs that are identified by Abraham Lincoln Memorial Hospital as relating to the present or future needs of the organization. This could include, but is not limited to college degrees or certification programs conducted by professional or trade organizations. Currently, these programs include, but are not limited to:
a. RN (ADN or BSN)
c. Physical Therapist
d. Physical Therapy Assistant
2. Scholarships will be awarded at the following levels:
Technical courses, associate degrees
|Up to a maximum of $10,000
|Up to a maximum of $20,000
|Up to a maximum of $30,000
3. Requirements prior to application:
a. Must have acceptance into the selected school. The scholarship can be used to assist with prerequisites prior to acceptance into the selected program. However, if the student does not get accepted into their desired program, the funds are required to be paid back per the contract.
b. Applicant’s selected educational institution and/or program of study must be fully accredited by an agency recognized by the US Department of Education at the time of application.
c. Must have a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.50 on a 4.0 scale and must have attained no lower than a “B” average in core classes completed at the time of application.
d. Must have strong ties to the Logan County community, with the intent to work at ALMH upon degree completion.
4. Application Process:
a. Candidates submit a completed Foundation Scholarship Application packet to the Foundation by the specified due date. A completed packet includes the application, responses to all essay questions, transcripts, entrance exam scores and two completed reference forms.
b. Candidates provide verifiable documentation of acceptance into the selected school. A letter of acceptance into the desired program will be required when applicable.
c. Candidates provide verifiable documentation of total program costs. Acceptable forms of documentation include any formal correspondence from the school identifying program costs. Under no circumstances will a candidate receive a scholarship award which exceeds total program costs.
d. Candidates provide evidence of the institution and/or program’s accreditation status that shall include the names of the accrediting agency under which the institution claims accreditation.
5. Selection Process:
a. The application and attachments will be reviewed for completion. Approved applicants will then be interviewed for general employment qualifications by the human resources department and by the department receiving the applicant at the completion of his/her education.
b. If the candidate is found acceptable for employment through the interview process, they will be scheduled for a minimum of four hours of job shadowing. The candidate will shadow ALMH employees currently working in the applicants’ desired field of study.
c. Recommendations will be made to the Foundation Scholarship Committee based on the interviews, job shadowing and the following criteria:
i) Educational preparation will lead to a position that meets a business and/or strategic need of the organization, and there is reasonable assurance that the position will be available at the conclusion of the course of study.
ii) The applicant is eligible to receive funding based on the information in the completed application, the letters of recommendations and interviews.
d. Recommended candidates will be screened by the Foundation Scholarship Committee. The committee will make recommendations to the Foundation Board, who will render final decisions of award.
6. Each semester/quarter, students must furnish grade reports to the Foundation office within one month of receipt. If grades do not comply with the standards as set forth in this policy, the recipient must comply with the terms of the Foundation Scholarship contract.
7. Scholarships are not paid in lump sum amounts. Payments are made by semester/quarter over the course of the degree program and should correspond to the student’s academic calendar and the organization’s fiscal calendar.
8. Scholarship recipients will agree to a work commitment with Abraham Lincoln Memorial Hospital as a primary employer. The work commitment will begin at the completion of the recipient’s course of study and receipt of license (if hired into a licensed role). The work commitment is as follows:
a. $2,500 received = 1 year commitment to a full-time position (2080 hours of work
b. For each additional $2,500 received, an additional year (2,080 hours of service) is required, up to a maximum of five years (10,400 hours of service)
9. While under the Scholarship contract, recipients will also agree to attend at least one Foundation board meeting per year to give an update on their academic progress and/or employment at ALMH.
10. Candidates are not eligible to receive both the Foundation Scholarship and an ALMH education grant or tuition reimbursement for the same course of study.
Requirements for Submission
Copy of Acceptance Letter into the program of study
Professional Recommendation (sent directly by reference)
Academic Recommendation (sent directly by reference)
Copy of official transcripts
Verifiable documentation of total program expenses
Verifiable documentation of the program’s accreditation status
Please send completed materials to:
Talent Planning Department
Memorial Medical Center
701 N First Street
Springfield, IL 62781
Or email email@example.com
Please submit all application materials by the first Friday in April.
If you have further questions or concerns regarding the scholarship program or deadline, please contact Micah Tanner by phone at (217) 757-2125 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org